Otome Youkai Zakuro – First Impressions

Otome Youkai Zakuro was the biggest surprise of this season thus far for me.

When I first read the synopsis and saw the promotional art depicting fox-eared girls working together with human soldiers, I instantly dismissed the series as being something I wouldn’t want to watch. However, I couldn’t be more wrong.

Its strength lies letting us watch the bonds build between the youkai and the humans through their combined efforts in resolving situations involving spirits. Watching a headstrong fox-eared girl pair up with a human soldier that is afraid of youkai also makes for an amusing reversal of stereotypical roles. The overall feel is that of an anime sprinkled with comedy here and there, but at its core there’s a solid story unfolding.

J.C. Staff did an excellent job on the animation work, with all the art being clean, crisp, and colorful. I was especially impressed by the battle chant scene that Zakuro and her comrades perform. It certainly brings forth a feeling of being enchanted.

Rating: Good

13 Comments to “Otome Youkai Zakuro – First Impressions”

The art does look lovely! I’ll probably wait to hear more about this before I pick it up, but it’s on my radar now.

Yeah, I find that I can’t be 100% sure if a series is good until I finish watching all of it.

2. yamada says:

I think I’m gonna watch this!

^o^

3. Persocom says:

I am bewitched! I really do love this anime so far 🙂

It’s good to see that other people like the series besides me. ^^;

I think I will need to add it to my watchlist ^_^

^_^

5. Psycho says:

Wow, J.C. Staff this season do lot of series. Beside Index II and Milky Holmes. But this season I pick too many again. Maybe I will pick LQ after 5 episodes.

Yup, I noticed that J.C. Staff were working on a few of the series this season as well. More business for them. ^^

6. ippius says:

hmmm i initially dismissed this series too… mebbe i should giv it a try.

Definitely do so, I’m still liking it so far.

7. […] my favorite series from the Fall 2010 season. Essentially all my thoughts from my first impressions post are still relevant and true even after I finished watching the final […]