Ore no Imouto – First Impressions

Ore no Imouto is about a normal high school student who has a little sister that is secretly an otaku.

The main character (Kyousuke) is a pretty chill guy while his sister (Kirino) is essentially a tsundere. I thought this series would end up being ecchi-oriented or something, but it has actually turned out quite nicely. The comedy stems from the character interactions, such as Kirino forcing her brother to play through an eroge so she can discuss it with him.

Aside from the comedy, the story gives a serious look into the acceptance of the “otaku” culture. Kirino is afraid of the negative consequences of revealing her hidden hobby, so she goes to great lengths to hide it. Her father makes it abundantly clear during family dinners that he disapproves of anime. Sooner or later, Kirino’s parents and school friends will probably find out about her hobbies. I’m curious to see how she (and her brother) will handle the resulting situation.

With Ore no Imouto thrown into the mix, this Fall 2010 anime season is shaping up to be the best we’ve had for a while.

Rating: Good

20 Comments to “Ore no Imouto – First Impressions”

I thought it might be ecchi oriented at first too, but it’s nice to hear that it will have a nice blend of comedy and even social commentary. Agreed about it being perhaps the best of the season.

Yup, it’s a nice change of pace since it isn’t ecchi or high school drama.

Shance Reply:

I’m actually think of it like something of a cross between Genshiken and Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu. If you’re read the manga far enough, I think this explains it.

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

2. Persocom says:

Liking it so far, and definitely looking forward to more. This is shaping up to be a great season for anime so far ^^

Hurray for good anime! ^^

3. Micchi says:

Good that more people are looking at this series more than just for ‘omg incest!’ since that wasn’t the point anyway. Kirino is so cute ><

Yup, that’s always good. Yes she is. ^^;

supera Reply:

OMG INCEST xD
    I <3 kirino

4. Guuzen says:

Great show to me so far. Love the comedy and love the voice actors/actresses in it =).

Oh, I didn’t even look at the seiyuu yet. Nice, Kirino is voice by same seiyuu that did Azusa in K-ON!

5. supera says:

If this goes how the manga goes (I suggest you not read it, manga drawing quality is no better then those draw-en by amateur doujinshi artists) Next episode will be a surprise of her hobby “coming out”
    Kirino is super awesome….I mean….an younger sister who ignores his brother yet loves 18+ siscon games, best part is she wants him to play it as well xD

Ah, next episode should be interesting then. Haha, do people like Kirino even exist?

6. Ex14 says:

Yeap, i agree this is one of the better anime seasons we had in a while ^^ what other animes are you watching? ^^

Um, I’m behind on my First Impressions posts, but I think I’m almost watching everything this season. There’s Index II, Fortune Arterial, The World God Only Knows, Otome Yokai Zakuro, and Yosuga no Sora that I still have to write about. ^^

7. I’m in general pleasantly surprised by how down to earth the show has been since the characters are somewhat easy to empathize with and the interactions thus far actually feel somewhat believable. There’s obviously chances for this to turn south, but so far, it’s holding up pretty strongly two episodes in and hopefully, it’ll continue to be enjoyable.

I find that series with believable character interactions usually end up being good. The ones with exaggerated and stereotypical anime exchanges, like those found in many harem series, ruin the viewing experience.

8. GNdynames says:

Kirino sounds just like me. I should give this series a go.

You won’t regret doing so. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. […] Ore no Imouto was good because everything felt believable. One of the main issues causing me to lose interest in a series is fake-sounding dialogue (e.g. Fortune Arterial). Fortunately, dialogue is one of Oreimo’s strong points. Listening to Kirino rant about anime reminds me of when people in real life talk about the things they’re passionate about. The exchanges between Kirino and Kuroneko are also fun to watch. […]