HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD – Final Impressions

Over already? The twelve episode length was nowhere close to being adequate.

Nothing is resolved at the end of the series. In fact, their group arrives at a shopping mall at the very last second, setting things up perfectly for a sequel. Hopefully they decide to make a second season that is at least 24 episodes long.

I think almost every episode had an action scene in it, which is the main reason I followed this series. However, I try not to dwell too much on illogical actions/events I noticed such as their entire group being trapped in front of a wire wall. They could have easily escaped under the wires, which was what they did after a rescue squad arrived. Why didn’t they just do that to begin with?

The one other issue was too much fan service. I know the main focus of HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD was violence and ecchi, but they went a bit overboard, causing some scenes to be so ridiculous that I didn’t know whether to be amused or impressed.

I’m going to have to lower my initial rating. It’s a good series to enjoy some mindless zombie slaying, but there’s not much else except watching Saeko solo destroy everything. With her there, no one else even needs to fight.

Rating: Decent

21 Comments to “HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD – Final Impressions”

1. Shadow says:

I think there were a few episodes at the mansion (like maybe 2) that focused on character development at the expense of action. The fanservice annoyed me as well and I would have liked the show much more if I wasn’t rolling my eyes at the over the top portions.

Saeko does need Hirano and Takashi occasionally, even if she an army on her own. Mindless zombie slaying is exactly what this series is, I pretty much tuned out any attempt at creating a rational plot, but then again how are zombies rational?

I wonder if they’ll ever get around to explaining how the zombie outbreak came to be. Hirano and Takashi are pretty cool too, especially when Hirano gets new guns to use. Everyone else in their group is meh.

2. Ayanavi says:

The author of Highschool of the Dead is on record saying that his two favorite aspects of life are “Violence and breasts” and that he writes what he enjoys – Which is an adequate explanation and summary of this series.

However, that said I still have to rank this anime a bit higher than you did out of sheer necessity. If there were other traditional “Zombie Apocalypse” series I could turn to, then I’d agree on it merely being decent… But the lack of western style zombie genre anime leaves me taking the series with a grain of salt and “take what I can get” attitude.

Definitely a facet of anime I’d love to see fleshed out more. We have so many giant mecha shows, why don’t we have more zombies?

Oh, and hi Reltair~

– Ayanavi

Haha, the author’s favorite aspects definitely show in the series. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

I can’t think of any other western-style zombie anime, so this might be the only one. Maybe S2 will flesh things out more. I would have rated it a bit higher, but the overabundant fan service stopped me.

Hi Ayanvai~ πŸ˜€

3. I really enjoyed the series, deserved more than a decent but thats just my opinion! I definitely think it started off stronger than it ended, but the end of the last episode seemed like it was leading onto something interesting so i really wish it would have continued! but oh well hopefully season 2 spring 2011!

I must admit that it was enjoyable. Even though I took a peek at the manga already, I still want to watch a second season!

4. Ex14 says:

meh. any sense of plot was destroyed by the overdose of fanservice imo. I did however liked the first ep where it really gave off the zombie apocalypse vibe, It made me think what I would have done etc. >.< too bad it ended like that…but I'm willing to bet this is not the end for HOTD

In many of the situations presented, I would think about what I would do since a lot of their actions were illogical, but I don’t know what it is like being in a zombie apocalypse. :/

Ex14 Reply:

LOL. tbh the only time i really felt theat vibe i was talking about was the first ep =/ maybe i’m a bit TOO sensitive but i could really feel the panic when zombies took over the school. rest of the season were like fleeting impressions of that, but unreal actions takenm by the gang of merry brothers (and sisters)

Ex14 Reply:

followed by the obsence amount of fanservice burried whatever might have been there

P.s. sorry bout the two post not sure bout this autoposting thing >.<

The rest of the season it became almost like a pastime for them. They would just rush in and fight. I guess it might be because they accepted their situation and don’t hesitate anymore.

Since the zombies infected others by biting them, I assumed the infection spread through blood. However, the students get zombie blood all over themselves and it doesn’t seem to affect them. :O

5. Anthony G. says:

Over….Already…if this really is the end then they better be making a season 2…or this was just to draw people to the manga which is still Epic.

If so, it worked on me. I went and started reading the manga afterward.

6. Lanir says:

I’m not sure what I think of it. I just kept watching it as relatively mindless entertainment aside from tracking the relationship stuff a bit. There was some character development but oddly enough they seem to have stuffed almost all of it into the first few episodes. One quirk that annoyed me a bit was having the story segues all done after the credits. If you didn’t watch after the credits you’d start to feel like the story was just randomly teleporting around because the lead-in to the next episode showing why the situation suddenly changed is at the end.

I watched it for the action scenes. Relationship-wise, I was rooting for Saeko and hoped Takashi wasn’t going to end up with Rei.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of anime nowadays are putting segments after the credits. I guess it’s a ploy to make the viewers stay for the credits. πŸ™‚

Lanir Reply:

I’m fine with shows doing that but I prefer a little notice that it’s happening, at least for the first few episodes. Although to be fair I can’t read kanji or make sense of romanji so they may have done so and I just didn’t know. πŸ™‚

Yeah, same here. I think I started checking after credits for every series now after I missed some content in the past. πŸ™‚

7. ippius says:

the anime industry rly needs to churn out longer and more polished work, rather than milking its audiences with shorter (and more) seasons which promote more dvd and merchandise sales. HOTD was a surprisingly good fanservice series, but it definitely finished prematurely πŸ˜›

Right on, but the temptation of money is too strong for them. πŸ™

I haven’t finished the series yet, but it sound like it ended with a cliffhanger… That’s kind of annoying, but at the same time, it’s in line with the majority of the genre.

As for the violence and the ecchi, they haven’t really been too distracting… yet. I can kind of see them escalating into ridiculousness though.

Yeah, I believe the manga is still ongoing. It would be difficult to end the series since the world as they knew it is already destroyed.