Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale

Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale is an indie jRPG made by EasyGameStation and recently localized by Carpe Fulgar.

It was released on Steam for $19.99 and has made decent sales while picking up good reviews. So I went and played the demo, and then promptly bought a copy on Steam afterward.

The premise behind Recettear is that your father has disappeared, leaving you with a massive debt to pay. You play as Recette, a little girl who pairs up with a debt collector fairy to open up an item shop in order to pay off her father’s debt.

Everything has been translated into English while keeping the original Japanese voices. There are numerous amusing cutscenes, dungeons to clear for loot, and sales to be made. Buy low, sell high, and profit!

Each boss at the end of a dungeon has a different mechanic to it, making the fights innovative and fun.

The normal game (paying off all your debt) took me around 6-7 hours to beat, which then unlocks the survival and endless modes. Survival mode is trying to pay off increasing debt every week while endless mode has no debt left and you’re free to do whatever.

This game is really addictive because you want to keep playing to increase your fortune, raise your merchant level, improve your store, clear all the dungeons, and get all the characters/cutscenes. Plus, you get to rip off townsfolk with a greater than 200% markup of the base price on an item.

For $20, Recettear is definitely worth it. It was an interesting experience playing as an item shop owner since we usually never think about those item shop NPCs when we play RPGs. Hopefully, Carpe Fulgar will be bringing over more indie jRPGs for us to play!

14 Comments to “Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale”

1. lStealtherl says:

It’s a great game, really. If you were into Harvest Moon, you folks should try this one out. I still have yet to finish the game, I’m in the 3rd or 4th week. I remember me reloading the game all the time to get the best sales/day (tedious work) so I haven’t gone any further than that haha. I only unlocked Thief and Mage (low lvl?), if I remembered correctly.. I should pick the game up again soon @_@;

There is an alternative way to play the game. If you already got the japanese version, you can use this walkthrough to overcome the language obstacle:

Yup, remember to save often. I had 3 or so save files rolling where I saved before and after each action I took. I ended up reloading a lot when I messed up a sale or wiped on a dungeon.

Oh nice, that’s quite an extensive resource for Recettear.

lStealtherl Reply:

What are your magical sale numbers? Now that I think about it, there was a merchant level you just had to combo up no matter what ^^; Well, I liked to pin it right 😛

If i remember correctly, mine were..
    Little girl – 102~104%
    Fairy – 102%
    Woman – 107~109%
    Man – 107~109%
    Old Man – 107~109%
    Guild Master – 111~114%
    Rich Girl – totally forgotten..
    Heroes – 102~104% and 107~109% depending on heroes.

I went 100% on cheap items for people like the Little Girl and Old Man to raise their spending level before going 117%. Then went 117% on everyone else. For some reason, the Woman rarely shopped at my store so I was still selling cheap items to her at the end.

When there was a price increase, I went 217% and made most of my money that way.

2. lStealtherl says:

I didn’t bothered watching the pictures carefully until now. All pictures uploaded are yours? The last pic shows that you’re on day 37 and you have got merchant level 18 and you haven’t expanded the shop? You can expand your shop at merchant guild.
    Didn’t you have a hard time trying to pay the debt or were you just challenging yourself?

I just played it again and wow. I really had forgotten how much pix I had. Makes me wonder why I didn’t finish the game at the time. Yea, my shop is plain-looking.. It will change very soon..

Yup, those are all screenshots from my saved game. I only expanded my shop once so far. I was trying to beat the game on a single loop, which I accomplished. The last payment was really cutting it close though. 🙂

This seems to be the talk among jgame communities lately. I’m really interested in the gameplay. It just looks like so much fun!

215% base price… You’re a dirty merchant. ^ ^

Yup, it’s really fun and addictive.

Haha, the townsfolk see it as a bargain. ^^

4. salah says:

it’s really fun and addictive.

That it is. I haven’t played it recently though, meh.

5. CHAOS says:

Dude. U all maybe think again. The stupid girl is the lowest where u can up to around 110%. Everytime she came to my shop, i will headache.

Get to stock up the expensive items. When the price increased, display all the expensive items at the windows and all the related product at the table only. If the price is down, go to shop till you drop and remove all the priced down product out of tables.

During the price up period, you can charge the customer up to 300%, if they complain, then charge them 280, and then finally settle at 250%. This is the golden opportunity to be CAPITALIST and get your debt paid.

When the shitty customer ask u to buy thier things during high price period, set it to above 50% and lower than 60%. If you have deliver the goods as promised during low price period, just place all the low price items and sell it slightly lower than base price. This will save you much money.

CAPITALIST vs SOCIALIST = CASPICIALIST!

Yeah, this is basically what I did. I just capitalized a lot on the price increased items to profit. Then you stock up when they are price lowered.

6. maggi says:

How do you save the game? I have no idea how to do it

I think it was either ‘Escape’ or ‘W’ key to go to the menu. Then you can access the save option from there.