Bungaku Shoujo Movie – Impressions

Bungaku Shoujo (Literature Girl) revolves around a girl who literally eats stories for food and a boy who writes “snacks” for her.

This movie is a serious drama filled with romance and tragedy. None of that fan service or silly comedy harems here. It feels like ages since I’ve last seen an actual good drama anime.

The characters here transcend the one-dimensional stereotypes that I’ve been seeing all Summer season. Especially Amano Tooko (the Literature Girl), who displays a very vibrant and likable personality and is superbly voiced by Kana Hanazawa (Tenshi/Kanade in Angel Beats!).

Even though the movie starts out peaceful, things get dicey when Inoue Konoha (the boy writer) has to face his past and overcome it. The clean resolution in the end seemed a bit too implausible for my liking, but it doesn’t hurt to be on the optimistic side of things.

As one would expect from a movie release, the animation quality is on the highest level. Everything from the characters to the scenery is top notch.

It is also nice to have an actual ending with all loose ends tied up, and even better when it is a happy one. Be sure to watch after the credits! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rating: Excellent

31 Comments to “Bungaku Shoujo Movie – Impressions”

1. lolikitsune says:

All loose ends tied up? But who’s at the door at the end! I want to know I want to know :3 :3

Actually, I just want to think that it’s Touko ๐Ÿ™

I’m pretty sure it was Touko (at least I hope so) since that would have made the most sense. I mean, he wrote a novel for her.

2. Shazzsteel says:

Oo surprised to see a review that quick after it got ‘released’. The characters and voice acting was very believable especially for Konoha’s childhood friend Miu (who was voiced Aya Hirano, who I think did a fantastic job especially with the outbursts of hatred and emotional scenes).

Like you said, its been a good while since there has been a good drama with a serious atmosphere.

The art fantastic colours suitable for each moment. Bright and vivid colours for cheerful moments and dull and dark for the serious ones.

A bit silly of me but I reckon the coupling should have gone Konoha X Touko as they seemed to be a better pair although I don’t think Touko harboured much feelings of love for him, she probably only realized she did like him after she was kissed before boarding the train.

For movies like this I usually watch after the credits to see if there are any goodies. For the comment above I believe the person at the door who we aren’t is probably Touko although I can’t picture in whatever she was wearing lol.

Ah yes, Miu’s outbursts of hatred was fantastic. I thought the coupling did go Konoha X Touko at the end since the novel he wrote was about her. So the only person who would show up at his door that made sense would have been Touko. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. nemuiwanko says:

I’ll definitely be checking this out soon. I also can’t wait for the nendoroid version of her to ship here! ^_^

Ah yes, the Touko nendo looks adorable. ^_^

I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about this. Seems like a very intricate story. And having a clean ending is always good.

Plus, there’s the OVA prequel and side stories too!

5. Ex14 says:

I loved this! thanks for the recomendtion! ^^

No problem, good to hear you loved it! ^^

6. Jac says:

I’m about mid-point through this show, and am losing motivation to finish it. Main reason being that as a guy, I find it hard to sympathize with the spineless and stupidly guilt-ridden Konoha.

Which is a pity because I love the pastel landscapes and Touko is a real delight to watch (and the real attraction to this show) =(

It’s worth finishing for sure. Touko is indeed the main reason that the movie is worth watching. ^^

7. Sakurablossoms3 says:

Ive been trying to find this movie english subbed for a while now! Where can I find this movie?

Um, the AniDB page for this should list the sub groups that did it.

Sakurablossoms3 Reply:

Sorry To If I Cause Any Trouble, But Would Yew Be Able To Give Me A Link That Will Lead Me To It?

Doki Fansubs [http://doki.hologfx.com/] should have it under the “Bungaku Shoujo” category.

8. Sakurablossoms3 says:

Ok Ummm So I Got To AniDB.net And It Is Showing Me Infor And The Main Cast And Main Staff Ect…. And It Also Shows An Episode List Like.. 1 Complete Movie And It SHows Me How Long The Movie Is, But Im Still Pretty Lost On How To Find The Actual Movie So I Can Watch It x/

My previous comment: “Doki Fansubs [http://doki.hologfx.com/] should have it under the โ€œBungaku Shoujoโ€ category.”

Go to their site and it should be easy from there.

9. Sakurablossoms3 says:

I am so blonde with computers, im really sorry if im bothering yew ><

10. Sakurablossoms3 says:

But okay so I went to the site and clicke “Bungaku Shoujo” and then it listed the OVAs and that they were realesed and then I scrolled down and it said “Bungaku Shoujo – Released” and so I started reading about it and the word “movie” was tinted grey and so I clicked on it and it led me to AniDB.net. Am I doing the right thing? ><

It’s cool. At [http://doki.hologfx.com/2010/09/14/bungaku-shoujo-released/], there’s download links near the end of the post. If you were looking for a stream, I don’t know since I don’t stream anime. >_>

11. Sakurablossoms3 says:

Alrigt! Thank Yew So So So Much.! :DDDD Imma Watch The Movie In A Bit :DDDD I Heard It Is Amazing, Im In The Middle Of Reading The Manga.

No problem, I hope you enjoy it!

12. Renivere says:

I just finished the movie and all OVAs and I loved loved LOVED it.
    The OST is also amazing! Somehow, Miu’s songs seem to haunt me. Everytime I hear it I get this heavy feeling in my chest as if a weights on it. Maybe it’s her spirit haunting me haha ๐Ÿ˜›

Anyways I just preordered the novel and finished the translated manga. Can’t wait to read it!

Glad you liked it! The OST is quite good.

I forgot about checking if the novel was out in the US until you mentioned it. Nice, now I need to go buy and read that as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Renivere Reply:

The OST was really good ๐Ÿ™‚ Miu’s songs were my favorite. Especially Miu I.

Only the first nove lis released. The second one comes out on the 25th ๐Ÿ™‚

Ah okay, I can read them back to back then!

13. GlassBiscuit says:

Was the whole movie based on the novels?

I believe the movie was based on the 5th novel.

14. Karasu says:

Guys, can some one tell me where can I buy the light novels online? (english translated)

Three of the novels are available on Amazon.com in English.