Ookami-san – Final Impressions

Since I saw that Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi has finished airing, I went ahead and finished the second half of the series in one sitting.

The main focus of the story is developing the relationship between Morino Ryoushi and Ookami Ryouko. However, Ryouko acts like your typical tsundere who isn’t honest with her feelings for Ryoushi. As for Ryoushi, he still can’t handle people staring at him for the most part, which is both annoying and disappointing.

The open ending of the last episode essentially left the two most important elements of the plot unresolved: Ryoushi and Ryouko’s relationship, and the student council president of the delinquent school. Why is he still in power after kidnapping members of the Otogi Bank? I’m guessing probably more content for a possible sequel.

The parodies of well-known fairy tales was a nice touch, with almost every episode having its own story. Even though the characters didn’t really develop during the course of the series, a couple episodes were dedicated to the past histories of various members of the Otogi Bank.

However, I don’t believe there was any development or past history focus on Majo even though she is a member as well. Instead she adds to the randomness injected throughout the series. There are multiple scenes that serve no purpose except to maybe amuse the viewer.

Ookami-san contains many stereotypical “anime” aspects to it that I have grown weary of (a single personality trait defining each character that leads to overused memes), but it wasn’t all that bad.

Rating: Decent

17 Comments to “Ookami-san – Final Impressions”

1. yamada says:

My thoughts are the same, the show is decent though I heard some say that a rubbish ending ^^;

Haha, glad to hear others agree with me about the ending.

2. Lanir says:

I kind of bailed on this midway through. It wasn’t bad, it just didn’t really do it for me. It kinda felt like I could sum the whole thing up a bit too simply. Like: Tsundere meets guy who’s crazier than the main character of Chaos Head in a cast of fairy tale luminaries and they all go to a typical anime high school.

Concise summary. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, I stopped watching halfway through, but then I randomly decided to marathon the rest of the series. *shrug*

3. Shadow says:

I never made it past the first episode, since Tall Taiga was really the only thing worthwhile in the show. I guess all the fairy tales didn’t appeal to me much or the show just felt…generic, so much that even one very cool protagonist couldn’t save it.

One of my friends couldn’t stand the narrator (pointed out the obvious too much, even if done on purpose was a bit annoying), but still finished the show and said it helped waste time.

Heh, Ookami-san was the best character by far in the show, although Ringo was okay too. Yeah, it helped past the time for me when I was bored.

4. Ex14 says:

I actually enjoyed the series ^^ maybe caus ei’m a sucker for romance, jumping at aany hint of it . not to mention tsunderes are kinda of a draw to me too @_@

the ending was pretty in conclusive, but I’m hoping its a hint to a season 2 ^^;

They’re definitely gunning for a second season. Tsunderes are pro, but they could have done more work on the romance part.

Ex14 Reply:

lol.I’m hopig it did well enough to warrent a S2…. if not it’ll b elike D. Grayman all over again D=

I’ll place my bet on there being a S2…eventually.

Ex14 Reply:

I hope so I hate it when they leave stories hanging DD=

5. Persocom says:

Reminds me I need to finish watching this myself. I think I got just about half-way before I forgot it existed. From what I saw it wasn’t bad or anything but it wasn’t good enough to keep my interest during it’s run.

My sentiments exactly, and I stopped half-way as well. At least the series isn’t that long so it should be easy to finish.

I couldn’t get interested in this at all. It seems very one dimensional. But I guess it’s not too bad.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t too good either.

7. Altair says:

The ending was a great dissapointment. I do think they’re going for more, even if it’s not for the romance aspect but for the guy who’s name I forget that I affectionately called “Gustavo Douchebagius III” getting thrown out of the 7th story window. I think at the very least they’ll make an OVA if not a season II.

That it was. I hate weak endings, sigh. The entire anime is kind of cloudy in my memory since I tend to forget things faster the less interesting they are.