Amagami SS – First Impressions

Despite being biased against anime adapted from dating sims, I actually somewhat liked Amagami SS.

There’s none of your typical fan service, nor a clueless male protagonist unintentionally building up a harem. This series has more of a KimiKiss feel to it, both in terms of content and animation style.

It’s nice to see each heroine getting her own story/route animated and also singing their own versions of the ending song. I find this adaptation method more attractive since all their endings will be shown instead of the usual “nothing is resolved” ending we see in this type of anime.

The voice actors for the characters are quite impressive (Source: Wikipedia):

Junichi Tachibana – The lead male protagonist of the story.
Voiced by: Maeno Tomoaki (Toya Fujii from White Album)

Tsukasa Ayatsuji – The class representative, who is both a hard worker and a person who is willing to take on any task that no one else will. Although outwardly she appears kind and friendly, her real personality is manipulative and cunning.
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka (Mai Taniyama from Ghost Hunt)

Rihoko Sakurai – A girl with a big appetite.
Voiced by: Ryōko Shintani (Rachel Benning in Red Garden)

Kaoru Tanamachi – One of Junichi’s childhood friends.
Voiced by: Rina Satō (Mikoto Misaka in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun)

Sae Nakata – A friend of Miya’s (Junichi’s younger sister).
Voiced by: Hiromi Konno (Potato in Air)

Ai Nanasaki – A classmate of Miya’s.
Voiced by: Yukana (Teletha Testarossa in Full Metal Panic! )

Haruka Morishima – A very popular girl in her final year, who has many fans in the school. Her best friend is Hibiki Tsukahara.
Voiced by: Shizuka Itō (Hinagiku Katsura in Hayate no Gotoku!)

The first story is that of Haruka Morishima. Her best friend Hibiki Tsukahara (shown above) is voiced by Yū Asakawa (Rider in Fate/stay night), which is neat since I just met her at AX this year.

So far I’m predicting that it’ll be 4 episodes per heroine, for a grand total of 24 episodes. Plot-wise, it’s nothing special; it is what it appears to be – a high school romance series.

However, Amagami SS has clean character designs paired with solid animation and voice acting. My only concern is how they plan on implementing the multiple versions of the story. It could either end up feeling somewhat repetitive, or flow along just right.

Rating: Good

22 Comments to “Amagami SS – First Impressions”

1. tabetaiii says:

It seems the seiyuu for hinagiku has been getting a lot of roles lately, like in ookami
    I really enjoy this series too, also felt like a kimikiss feel. But I just don’t like the main character guy for some reason.

I rarely like the male protagonists in these adaptations since they are usually clueless, wimpy, weak, and/or perverted. I don’t find this one that bad though. Although, it doesn’t help that he has the same voice as Toya Fujii from White Album (horrible male lead).

I’m glad to see the show not loaded with the usual ecchi moments. The characters are soft to my eyes at least… and are somewhat believable. Morishima is quite the odd character though; hopefully she has some dramatic past.

If anything, I will remember that Tachibana has that awesome planetarium and was brave enough to confess on the first episode.

I guess that’s just the way she is. If each version of the story is fairly short, I don’t know if they have adequate time to go into each heroine’s past, but I’m hoping they will.

Haha, his closet that he likes to sleep in is awesome. I was quite surprised when he already confessed on the first episode.

3. Shadow says:

This show is starting off like Hatsukoi Limited for me. Some minor interest to start with and then I drop it. The first story about Haruka is moderately interesting, mainly because she seems to be an evil girl behind that nice facade.

In the first episode, it really felt like she led Junichi on and then rejected him. Unfortunately, I think it’s just her unique personality and not something as interesting as an evil girl’s plot.

Shadow Reply:

The characterization of evil was an exaggeration on my part. I think a better way to explain it is she just rubs me the wrong way. She has this sort of sweet face she puts on while being rather manipulative and altogether not really that sweet upon first impression.

Yeah, I know what you mean. She seems used to getting things her way and acts as if the world revolves around her (joining/leaving clubs as she pleases). At least Hibiki is there to keep her in check.

yumetachi Reply:

yeah yeah yeah! she thinks shes all that. everyone knows its all about rihoko

Haha, I can’t wait to see how Rihoko’s story turns out.

4. Blacksun88 says:

awesome cast of seiyuu, and many are those i liked ^^ i will look forward to this series

I’m quite surprised by the seiyuu behind many of the series this season, or maybe that’s because I didn’t really look them up before.

I had some bad experiences with multiple plots in shows. Hard to track.

Yeah, especially if they intertwine. I’m hoping this anime will be more like a chain of mini-series, so it’s easy to follow.

I’m not too familiar with Amagami and romance anime adapted from games usually aren’t my thing. Still, I might pick this up because the character designs are just soo cute and so my type.
    Let’d hope the multiple routes won’t conflict and make the series incoherent.

After finishing episode 3 and judging from the preview for episode 4, it looks like it really might be 4 episodes per story.

Episode 3 makes this story a must watch for the really embarrassing stuff they do. Lines like “Can I kiss you on the back of your knee?” makes me go “What?”. >_>

7. master vamp says:

my in kaori forum, after they watch anagami SS they want to kill somebody, but i don’t why, but my friend say they are jealous

Haha, I’m sure they’re just jealous.

master vamp Reply:

did you know why? it’s my friend in indonesia

Spoiler for those that haven’t seen the Morishima arc yet: They get married in the end.

I’m guessing that’s why. 🙂

8. […] season hasn’t been very impressive overall. The only two series that stand out are Amagami SS and HIGHSCHOOL OF THE […]

9. […] format is similar to the first season except with only 2 episodes per heroine. Since it starts with Ayatsuji Tsukasa’s arc, […]