StarCraft II Beta Impressions

After playing the StarCraft II Beta for a while, it still holds up as a solid successor to the original StarCraft.

Battle.net has been completely revamped with Achievements added in and a ladder/match-making system similar to that of World of Warcraft Arena.

New teams play 5 placement matches that will land you in a league ranging from Copper to Platinum. I love this new system since it saves me the trouble of finding matches against players of around equal skill level. You can still play private matches against friends, but those aren’t ranked.

My only gripe with the new Battle.net is that you invite your friends to a “party” and you get a tab that pops up into a small chatbox. I miss having the channels in the old Battle.net where large groups of people could meet up.

As for the game itself, it’s mostly the original StarCraft with updated graphics similar to WarCraft III. There are of course new units, abilities, and structures, but the core gameplay remains largely the same. The pace of the game feels quicker with units and buildings being destroyed more easily.

Protoss is my race of choice, and I must say that Void Rays are amazing. They’re basically flying glass cannons that annihilate buildings in a blink of an eye, but can easily be destroyed itself. I haven’t played Zerg or Terran much since I was mainly a Protoss player in SC1, but I’ll still give them a try.

Look at how long StarCraft has lasted. StarCraft II will be played for many years to come, making this a definite purchase for me. I can’t wait to do some 4v4 matches with my friends!

24 Comments to “StarCraft II Beta Impressions”

1. tekky99 says:

I got a key today, and while i like it… i really wish there was a way to practice/learn against CPU. Trying to learn how to play against other people is kinda stressful

Brett Reply:

best way to learn how to play is to set up some private matches with friends and just try some different things. It really allows you to grow, especially if they are better than you.

This is a good method to learn as well. Although playing against friends can be stressful since we go all out in our matches. 😀

You can make a custom game and then add an A.I. as your opponent. The only difficulty available in the beta is Very Easy, which consists of the CPU not really doing much of anything. That’s what I did to mess around with the tech trees.

2. As much as I’d love to, I don’t think I’ll be playing this competitively since I’m naturally clumsy when it comes to doing stuff like microing units and whatnot. Will look forward to the single player though just to see what goodness Metzen has put into the storyline.

Brett Reply:

I’m looking forward to the single player also, I loved the first ones campaign a lot. It also allows you to learn all of the units and shortcuts without having to worry about rushes or other players in multiplayer.

The single player looks like wicked fun with its various missions and tasks. I usually end up macroing my units more since microing requires so much focus. 🙁

3. Guy says:

I agree with tekky.

I also want to try Sins of a Solar Empire, Supreme Commanders and such. I want what wins the games to be /strategy/, rather than the speed of your fingers and mastery of hot-keys. Why not just go and do words-per-minute or hotkey-per-minute contests otherwise?

Just ordered Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2. I kind of like the campaign, and it’s quite different from Starcraft.
    Anyway, I hope they cut down on the hotkeys and the rushes, but they clearly said “Rushes are a core part of the game.”

It was just sad how the Hero-Rush and the hotkey uber alles also entered into Warcraft 3 :-/

Oh well, I’ll probably try it. But definitely would prefer trying to take on the CPU first.

Rushes are indeed a core part. Played in a 2v2 on a small map where enemy team rushed with zerglings and a reaper. So frustrating.

I can never play these games… or any game that requires dexterity and quick thinking. I like Star Craft though, and good to see that zergs in that screenshot. They’re my favorite race.

I’m thinking of switching over to Random since all three races are fun to play. There’s always the UMS maps later on for added fun. ^^

5. Brett says:

I got into the Beta this past week, if you want to add me my Battle.net id is chaloop.Brett

Brett Reply:

I like the Beta so far, I have only played about 6 matches. The new units are pretty interesting, but I am still getting used to everything again.

Good to hear. Yeah, I was really rusty when I started playing again. I’ll add you next time I’m on.

Battle.net ID: Reltair.reltair (for anyone that wants to add)

6. Koji Oe says:

My friends are really into it right now but that’s because they played the original. I never played the original since I didn’t get a computer until a whole lot later.

They want me to get it too, but I really don’t feel interested. I like War3 more.

Ah, I never got into War3. I went back to SC after trying it out for a bit.

Dam i completely forgot about THIS! D:
    thanks for the reminder!
    need to save some extra cash for it on july ^^
    looks good on picture but cant say much, since i havent tried it myself ^^

Haha, no problem. The Terran campaign should be good. I fell prey to the Collector’s edition. >_>

8. Canne says:

I really can’t wait to play Zerg again since they are the cutest of the three races 😉

Cutest? :O

Will ask my bro to see what he thinks about the beta.

Nice, he can tell you about it firsthand. ^^

10. Brett says:

I can’t believe it is ending in two weeks until another beta is released a few weeks until release. 😐

Awww, at least there’s still another 2 weeks of gameplay!