Hakuouki – Shinsengumi Kitan First Impressions

Hakuouki – Shinsengumi Kitan

Only a few more first impressions to go through! When I first read that Hakuouki was based on a romance adventure game for female players, I was skeptical as to whether I would like the series.

Three episodes later, I’m left impressed by the sheer amount of bloodshed and killing that went on. Although I should have known better since this is the Shinsengumi that we’re talking about here.

The first two episodes felt fairly slow with the plot inching slowly forward and not much action to be had. A girl dresses up as a boy to go look for her missing father and sees something that she wasn’t supposed to see. As a result, she is “imprisoned” with the Shinsengumi whose leadership and officers seem to solely be comprised of bishounens, which is to be expected considering the nature of the game. Now it’s just a question of who she’s going to end up with, or if the anime will take the inconclusive ending route.

The female protagonist seems to like charging headfirst into dangerous situations and never actually uses her weapon. Instead, a Shinsengumi member would come to her rescue. I would like to see her actually use the dagger that she wears apparently only as a decoration.

On a different note, Saito, as depicted in the image above, looks quite different from the Saito of Rurouni Kenshin. I don’t think having his hair cover one eye would help him in battle.

Rating: Good

20 Comments to “Hakuouki – Shinsengumi Kitan First Impressions”

1. Joojoobees says:

Yeah, they really give you a good feel for why the Shinsengumi were feared by the people of Kyoto. The mission in episode three would get them in a lot of trouble in a modern police setting. Essentially they bust in without any plan other than kill a bunch of the people in there.

And kill they did. It said afterwards that 20~ enemies were killed, but during the battle it looked like way more since they were downing people left and right. Seems like the upcoming episodes might have battles on an even larger scale.

2. K says:

Saito, as depicted in the image above, looks quite different from the Saito of Rurouni Kenshin. I donโ€™t think having his hair cover one eye would help him in battle.- Maybe Saito was a bish before he became the bitter walkingstick he is now XD.

Haha, that could be it. Bitter walkingstick, nice one. XD

Im kinda enjoying this series, not my priority but i must admit there is the action needed to make viewers want to watch it ^^

And judging from the OP, there’s more to come. ^^

4. Joojoobees says:

Quite frankly I’m pleasantly surprised by the amount of action we’re seeing. Some people were talking like this was going to focus on the romantic development between Chizuru and the guys. Now it turns out that romantic development consists of them killing people who threaten her.

When I found out that the anime was based on the game, I expected mostly the back and forth romance buildup. So I’m pleased about the action content as well. You’re spot on about the romantic development though. ๐Ÿ˜€

5. Nadiaia says:

The anime reminds me of several animes I have seen in the past. This one is good however, one flaw is having a weak female. I despise animes like that. I mean why would you see people fighting for their lives and call out their names(idiot). Who cares about the romance part; I have seen 5 episodes so far I hope it get better or I may have to stop watching.
    Peace

I concur, having a weak female lead is a flaw. Maybe that’s how it was in the game I’m assuming? It really looks like she has no idea how to fight, which makes it highly unrealistic that they would bring her along with them to the frontlines on battles. At least it looks like she has a special passive ability.

6. dawntodusk says:

Actually, I heard the art and animation was good, and that was my main motive for watching it (I’ve been watching too many old anime lately). My motivation now is the final battle between Hijikata and Kazama (who is much more interesting than the other characters in my opinion; My friend played the game and went for Okita, another friend and I wanted to know if it’s possible to pick Kazama lol).

Another motive would be wanting to see if I’m blasted right and the director won’t let Okita die of tuberculosis but kill him off somehow.

Indeed, the art and animation is top notch. The battles are more interesting than the plot of finding her father and what not. I don’t know anything about the game, but I would imagine that you would want to watch the anime if you’ve played the game.

Hey, Okita said himself that he didn’t have tuberculosis! ๐Ÿ˜›

Chelsey Reply:

Sadly though, in real life Okita Sojiro dies of TB. Though it would be cool if he were KIA as it would bring more respect and show to the character. im also hoping that a new twist is added to the series b/c of the strange”medicine” that keeps poping up.

If I recall, he was also coughing up blood in Rurouni Kenshin. A twist would be nice, but I think they’re just going to use what happened in history. *shrug*

7. Panda says:

It was a pretty awesome anime….however…Saito did not get enough fighting scenes….D8 I hope he has more in the second season!

One can only hope. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. LG says:

This is a short one, only 12 episodes, right? That would mean I’ve only got 3 more episodes to watch and, with this kind of length, the pacing of the show is really bad. The show is just about half way over before details about the special medicine are revealed, and, for the most part, not much really happens in the show. Will there be a second season for sure? If so, then I can forgive the pacing a bit.

The Shinsengumi’s behavior towards the main female character took quite a bit of suspension of disbelief – one fight against Saito, in which he beats her immediately, and everyone instantly keeps saying “We can let you do [blank] because you’ll be able to defend yourself enough not to interfere with our work.” Oh really? Every time she’s in danger, she shuts her eyes and flinches. And then faints afterward. Argh.

But darn it, my weakness is bishounen, and so I keep watching. Plus, the battles aren’t bad.

Yup, it’s only 12 episodes. I’m farther behind than you since I stopped watching due to the boring story/dialogue. The story probably only seems boring to me because of the horrible pacing. I’m haven’t looked into if there is a second season, but I would assume that’s what they were aiming for.

I remember that part! She didn’t even do anything except get beat instantly, but they all concluded that she was able to defend herself. Haha, apt description of what she does every battle.

The battles are the only thing keeping it from complete failure.

LG Reply:

Unless they were being presumptuous during the “coming this autumn!” bit at the end of the last episode, yes, there’s more planned. Ugh. I just barely managed to finish the show.

There were two moments in the final episode that I had high hopes for, and they didn’t turn out as well as I hoped. First, whatshername drew her actually drew her sword during a fight, so I thought she might finally have grown a spine. Unfortunately, before she could demonstrate anything either way, one of the guys swooped in and saved her butt, allowing her to shriek and cry her way through all the rest. Second, the fight the opening credits indicated would happen, between Hijikata and the one oni guy, finally happened. Unfortunately, it was cut short.

Ugh, sorry to hear that it was a disappointment. Now I need to build up even more motivation to somehow finish the series. :/