Initial Fate/stay night Concept Art

It was my first time seeing this concept art a few days back, and I must say that this makes much more sense.

Since King Arthur was supposed to be male, this Saber fits the role better in that regard. What would his personality have been like? I could easily imagine him having a Shirou/Archer-type disposition, or maybe he would have been similar to the female Saber.

As for the female protagonist, Ayaka would have been an interesting choice instead of Shirou. Quite possibly less whiny and wearing glasses is always a plus.

It seems like the only reason they swapped the genders around and changed the characters was to make the Fate story into an eroge.

Nasu (writer of the Fate storyline) stated:

“Even though sometimes he [Takeuchi] says impossible things, at the time the concept seemed simply ridiculous. Turning Saber into a girl, that’d completely destroy Fate! At first I was very against the idea, but after a while, I thought some of the difficulties that might arise could be resolved.”

It’s a pity Type-moon hasn’t made an alternate version of Fate/stay night using the initial concept characters.

Source: Type-Moon Wiki

27 Comments to “Initial Fate/stay night Concept Art”

Dam im happy this version was made D:
    male saber lol

2. SZ says:

Nasu should’ve stuck with Ayaka. Just look at where Shirou got himself!

Although I suppose “Internet Meme Star” is a sort of accomplishment, as well.

3. Koji Oe says:

Someone sure is a slowpoke. Even I’ve seen these and I’m not a fan of Typemoon stuff.

Unless this an early April Fools thing.

4. Mikemt says:

Ayaka wouldve been a much better replacement of Shirou imo, but probably not the other guy

@Fabrice: D:

@SZ: At least Shirou becomes pro in the end. If Nasu went with Ayaka, would that make Archer female?

@Koji Oe: *shrugs*

@Mikemt: Ayaka paired with the female Saber? 😛

Mikemt Reply:

ye, those two would make a nice team :]

6. T.K. says:

I’d like to see female Archer! 😀

phossil Reply:

or female Lancer 😉

7. Lightoss says:

Im a huge type-moon fan!, i would really love to see the story featuring these two.
    Hey do you like melty blood/tsukihime series?

@T.K.: 😀

@phossil: Might as well throw in Assassin too.

@Lightoss: Uh, it’s decent. I saw the Tsukihime anime way back when it aired, but I haven’t played the VN yet. As for Melty Blood, I played as Len for a little bit (not really a fan of fighting games).

Lightoss Reply:

Ohh.. you should really read the manga or the history of the game, the history is awesome, so many mysteries, crossover’s is very nice.

Oh cool, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

9. K says:

Well… Fate was an eroge to begin with, so playing as Ayaka may not be so nice once the harem of male servants shows up. It’d be really interesting to see this as a manga or anime though :3

Haha, yeah. Preferably in anime form. :3

K Reply:

Archetype Saber looks quite compitent. That smug looks just like Gilgamesh’s. Wonder if he’s arrogant too O_o.

Now that you mention it, he does look like Gilgamesh.

10. Qamar says:

wow….saber as man (looks cool)

King Arthur!

11. Hamitus says:

Arthur woman horrible!!

Haha.

12. Bobjones says:

Judging by the sheer amount of Saber fanboys, turns out changing him into a girl worked out very well. Good thing we didn’t know much about male Saber or else it wouldn’t had worked. Anyways, having a female protagonist instead of Shirou would had been a terrible idea; Nasu and Takeuchi both realized this which is why they made the difficult decision of doing the switch. Also, the whole Archer/Shirou relationship likely did not exist in the original, they do not even have the same powers since Ayaka was a talented mage with a long family history like Rin.

I imagine that Ayaka and male Saber’s character and personalities were pushed over into Rin and Archer, definitely Ayaka and Rin.

Yeah, they made a good decision to switch to a male protagonist for obvious reasons.

Good point about Ayaka and Rin, I don’t think I thought about that back when I wrote this post a long time ago. Nasu probably wanted to preserve the original concept in some way. I would think the male Saber would have a similar personality to Archer since it would make sense.

13. kosh says:

Hi, a few years ago I remember seeing a picture of the male saber with the armor, does anyone know where I could find it?

thanks ^^

Hi, is this the image you were referring to? http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/File:Archetype_Saver.png

I found it on the Type-Moon wiki.

14. rudolf says:

Too bad that did not follow the original story, would have been very good!

Already on the Arch believe he would have continued to be a man since the original story would have followed another course.

It would certainly have been interesting, but the Fate/stay night that we have now is already good too. 🙂

Rudolf Reply:

This anime was a waste.
    Gilgamsh The hero is a villain, it was a grotesque error.
    So the story of King Arthur that was altered, the others continue with the original story.