Google to offer internet service

As anyone can clearly see, Google keeps expanding into new areas such as internet browsers via Google Chrome. What’s the next step? Maybe offering internet service that utilizes their fiber network.

Google plans to build and test out fiber networks in a small number of locations around the United States. These networks will be able to offer 1 gigabit per second connections at competitive prices. That’s 1000 times faster than my 1 Mb/s DSL line.

Our goal is to experiment with new ways to help make Internet access better and faster for everyone. Here are some specific things that we have in mind:

• Next generation apps: We want to see what developers and users can do with ultra high-speeds, whether it’s creating new bandwidth-intensive “killer apps” and services, or other uses we can’t yet imagine.
  • New deployment techniques: We’ll test new ways to build fiber networks, and to help inform and support deployments elsewhere, we’ll share key lessons learned with the world.
  • Openness and choice: We’ll operate an “open access” network, giving users the choice of multiple service providers. And consistent with our past advocacy, we’ll manage our network in an open, non-discriminatory and transparent way.

United States is behind in terms of broadband internet speeds, but Google will hopefully be able to change that. If these fiber networks prove to be viable, AT&T and other providers need to look at their current situation.

You can nominate your community to be a part of Google’s fiber network trial here. I nominated my city, but I highly doubt we’ll get selected. Who knows, maybe we’ll get lucky?

Image Source: Danbooru

12 Comments to “Google to offer internet service”

1. Seinime says:

I can only think of kickass torrenting. Or lagless gaming. Oh joy.

2. AJV says:

Google Internet? What’s next before global takeover?
    Anyhow, that sounds pretty good. If it’s cheaper and the service is better, I might switch providers.

3. Shazzsteel says:

If this proves to be successful, I hope it expands overseas as it will really stabilize internet plan prices as it will give other ISP’s a run for their money since they’ll be competing with big daddy google after this hehe.

4. Steve says:

I can’t comment on the state of internet in the US but I find it a little disconcerting that it looks like Google is slowly trying to take over the internet itself.

5. Lanir says:

This looks like an odd choice honestly. Unless they already sell web/email hosting and/or server hosting. I’d always heard that the real money from being an ISP was from the hosting not the home users.

@Seinime: Endless torrenting.

@AJV: I’m definitely switching providers if they decide to offer it here. AT&T is so overpriced.

@Shazzsteel: It’ll probably be a while before they decide to expand overseas, if ever. =/

@Steve: People need to start up new companies to compete with them!

@Lanir: If they decide to go through with this, they’ll probably go into those other areas as well. Plus, they could also use the fiber networks they built for internal purposes.

7. Ruby says:

1GB per second?!?!?! that’s extremely fast!! it would proab cost thousands per month I bet o_o or proab hundreds,,,google is definitely taking over the world now xD recently they text message the verification code to your phone when you want to make a gmail account

Eh, I think it shouldn’t cost that much. At least not in the thousands. There’s Paxio, another provider that is offering internet through fiber, and they’re charging $245 USD a month for a 1000 Mbps line.

Anonymous Reply:

That’s 1 gigaBIT per second. That translates to 1Gb/8 = 0.128Gb = 128MB.

Yup, thanks for the clarification.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Google really does seem to be expanding super rapidly into every aspect of the internet.

Have to keep diversifying to keep ahead of the competition!