My Internet Service Provider

After seeing the ridiculous internet speeds they get over in Japan for only 6,000 yen ($66.78 USD) a month, I ran some tests of my own to compare.

I think our internet plan at home is supposed to be up to 1.5 Mb/s for $25 a month. The ISPs here in the US really need to step it up, but I guess they’re too busy being greedy. *cough* AT&T

At least my ping is fine, but that’s to be expected.

How are your internet speeds versus monthly price? I recall seeing various articles ranking the United States near the bottom for broadband internet…

Β

Image Source: Safebooru

14 Comments to “My Internet Service Provider”

1. Salichan says:

21 Euro a month for 8 mbit download and ~1 mbit upload but my conection canΒ΄t handle full speed due to technical limitations where I live
    Oh, I am from Austria πŸ™‚
    err 21 euro are about 30 US-Dollar I think

0.63Mbps for me. I think its ok for a USB modem connection. πŸ˜‰

3. Lanir says:

Slightly more techie goo than normal below. Skip it if you’re not into such things.

There are a number of things that can cause lousy results with things like that. I’d say try at different times, using different servers and maybe even different test pages. If they all suck then it’s probably your ISP. Or at least, that’s the point where you can speak to your ISP about the results you’re getting and have them not brush you off.

Honestly the numbers you’re quoting aren’t bad for a 1.5mb/s connection. Your ISP just doesn’t have the most modern hardware out your way from the look of it (mediocre speed, low latency, no packet loss). The Japanese stuff was a fiber connection. Those aren’t widespread in the states yet. All the big ISPs own wire these days and they’re too busy trying to engineer monopolies to bother investing in newer technology. If your ISP did upgrade you’d probably be getting the 8mb connection Salichan mentioned since that only involves replacing the machine your modem talks to and not running new wire. Running wire (to upgrade to fiber for example) is a lot more expensive.

@Salichan: Pretty good, 8 times the download speed for only a bit more. =/

@phossil: It’s all good. I think that’s better than what I get at my apartment.

@Lanir: I’m always up for such things. Yeah, these numbers are fine for a 1.5 Mb/s connection. They are all too busy trying to get monopolies. We basically only have one DSL and one cable provider to get our internet service from in this area. Although, I think a new fiber optic internet provider started up in the Bay Area. They have a 1,000 Mbit for around $170 a month if I recall correctly. Maybe I’ll have to get that once I graduate and get a job.

12-14mbps for $60 bucks per a month with 30 gigs quota off and on peak.
    I recently upgraded my plan for twice the speed, twice the quota for slighter cheaper.

When it comes to broadband speed, I find Australia is the behind compared to the rest of the world because we don’t have that technology yet. With government announcing a broadband network last year to increase the speed and allow remote areas to have access to fast internet connection, I find little has been done yet.

Fiber optic is new technology for super fast internet but I don’t see it being implemented here because it’s just too expensive and I doubt many ppl are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Ouch, not used to having a quota. =/

6. Placinta says:

28Mb/s download | 24Mb/s upload for 16$ per month, in Eastern Europe. Unlimited bandwidth.

Damn, that’s such a good price for that connection. Europe has good internet it seems.

7. zenical says:

70 SGD for 10mb/s Broadband plan, unlimited dl available. But they cap our speed with their stupid modem. T_T. So you need to buy your own and configure it. My friend is getting 8-10mb/s with his 3mb/s plan orz.

What kind of ISP provides a modem for you to CAP YOUR SPEED!? -.-

Wow, an easy workaround since it’s the home modem that’s capping the speed. A pretty gg ISP, but I guess a lot of people stick with or don’t realize that there’s a cap since the ISP still does it that way.

8. Chiaki says:

All isp’s are liars & greedy! XD
    well in my place they are~

Same here. Hopefully someone will start a new ISP that’s different from the crowd.

9. tempter94 says:

Download Speed: 14888 kbps
    Upload Speed: 12797 kbps and we are paying 10euro for month

Oh wow, your upload speed is almost the same as your download. Quite surprising.

At 10 euro/month for that connection, seems pretty good to me.