Quick Estimate of Japan Trip Cost

JR_Train

I was chatting with my friends on Ventrilo and we started discussing the Japan trip we hope to go on some time next summer. The current group we have going is 5 of us: my brother, 3 friends, and myself.

It will probably be a 2 week trip since not all of us can stay for a month or longer. We’re looking at arriving around mid-June and departing near the end of June. Unfortunately, that seems to be the rainy season in Tokyo.

A quick cost estimate breakdown:

• Round-trip airfare: $800
  • 7-day Japan Rail Pass: $300
  • Hostels: $700
  • Food: $700
  • Random purchases + other expenses: $500

Total: $3000~

We are overestimating on the food costs at $50 per day to be safe since we want to try out all the local specialties in whichever area we’re in.

Even though next summer is far off, we still need to get around to making our itinerary. We plan on hitting as many locations as possible, but more research is needed for an ideal plan. Guess I should start learning Japanese again.

Image Source: pixiv

12 Comments to “Quick Estimate of Japan Trip Cost”

1. Miette-chan says:

What airline are you planning on using? $800 for a round trip to Japan seems way too cheap.

Since 5 are going, I think you could lower your costs in Hostels.

@Miette-chan: Ah, I just looked at JBT-USA’s site with round-trip prices from SF to Tokyo. The airline I guess would be JAL? I heard of some people getting pretty cheap deals when they’re on the lookout for them.

@phossil: A quick browse at the prices showed around $45 a night per person. Didn’t really try to look harder yet, but I’m sure we can find better deals. There’s always capsule hotels. ^o^

Is that an overestimation or just about right?
    A 7 day trip to Japan would certainly be really fun though.

I think it’s an overestimation. A lot depends on if we can get a good deal on plane tickets.

A 7 day trip feels so short. Ideally, I would want at least a month or two. =/

5. MindOnAir says:

I’m also trying to plan a group trip from SF to Tokyo with some friends next August, but I don’t know where to start. Where did you find your hostel prices?

“Random purchases + other expenses: $500”

It’s best to have an extra $500 in ur bank. The ‘poison’ is overwhelming there. πŸ˜‰

@MindOnAir: Just took a quick look at Hostels.com. We’re doing more in-depth research when it’s Winter Break for us all.

@Optic: It’s okay, it’s a pretty rare occasion. So splurging is allowed!

8. Ruby says:

Wow it sounds fun ^_^ very expensive though :S be sure to take lots of pictures πŸ˜€

Will certainly do so. It’s still a long ways off though. =/

9. Brett says:

Wow this is exactly something I have been looking for, an estimated cost for going to Japan. While I plan to go in a year or two because I am still relatively young, it is definitely something I want to plan ahead for and save up enough money for when I go.
    I was thinking anywhere from a week to two weeks would be good for a first time there, I definitely want to visit the country side too. It just seems so nice!

Yup, it doesn’t hurt to begin planning early so you have something to look forward to.